My apologies if this hits your mailbox more than once.

PREMIS* needs help! One of our community tools needs an upgrade and we need developers to help us upgrade it.

The PREMIS in METS toolbox [http://pim.fcla.edu/] is a set of open source tools that can validate and generate PREMIS in METS documents. The toolbox needs to be updated to reflect changes that have been made in Version 3 of PREMIS and we need technical help to undertake this work.

PiM uses open source tools to describe objects being preserved, convert between PREMIS and METS (and vice versa), and validate according to the XML schema and the PREMIS and METS guidelines. Tools/programs used include DROID, JHOVE, XSLT, Schematron, Ruby. The source code is available on github [http://github.com/LibraryOfCongress/pimtoolbox].

If you think you have some time and the skills to help us update the toolbox or have any questions, please do get in touch with me ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>). PREMIS is a community-driven activity that only exists thanks to contributions from the community.

Best wishes,
Pete

* The PREMIS Data Dictionary for Preservation Metadata is the international standard for metadata to support the preservation of digital objects and ensure their long-term usability. Developed by an international team of experts, PREMIS is implemented in digital preservation projects around the world, and support for PREMIS is incorporated into a number of commercial and open-source digital preservation tools and systems. See http://www.loc.gov/standards/premis/.

Peter McKinney | Digital Preservation Policy Analyst | Information and Knowledge Services
National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Direct Dial: +64 4 462 3931 | Extn: 3931
Cnr Molesworth and Aitken Streets | PO Box 1467, Wellington 6140 |
http://digitalpreservation.natlib.govt.nz/

I work on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

The National Library is part of the Department of Internal Affairs