From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Johan Oomen NISV
Sent: donderdag 7 juli 2016 13:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Describe sub-collections in DCAT - advice very much appreciated

Hi Ethan,

Many thanks for your reply.

Europeana has indeed harvested a (very small) part of datasets available in the Netherlands via different channels (aggregators and several projects). But what Europeana harvests are the datasets with metadata on record level, modelled in EDM (Europeana Data Model), *not* metadata about the datasets itself.

What we intend to do with our CKAN implementation is twofold:
 (1) get a better idea of all (open) datasets in the Netherlands, how they are published (e.g. as Linked Data), to facilitate the transformation to a more distributed model in the Netherlands.
(2) and in order to do so register these datasets and model the metadata on dataset level to DCAT.

This is not something Europeana can provide for us, although our work will be valuable for Europeana on the long term.

Hope this clarifies matters,

Best wishes,
Johan