> but since there is really no standard field for such a value, anything I
choose is all but arbitrary. I’ll use some 9xx field, just to make things
easy. I can always (and easily) change it later.

More like there are SEVERAL standard fields for such a value.

You can certainly put it in one of the existing standard fields, you just
have to actually follow the (often byzantine legacy) rules for such entry.
For instance, the date you want may very well already be in the fixed field
008, and you could certainly add it if it weren't. But the rules and
practices for 008 are confusing -- in part, because the actual real world
universe of "what is the date of this thing" is itself complex in the real
world of actually cataloged things, including serials and series,
manuscripts, reprints and fascimiles, old things where we aren't sure of
the exact dates, etc.  And in part just because the MARC standard is kind
of old and creaky, especially with regard to fixed fields like 008 being
designed to cram maximum amount of information in minimum bytes, beyond any
reasonable economy actually needed today.

I just learned about the 264 from Karen Miller's post (thanks Karen), I
dunno about that one, but it looks like it might be applicable too.

Standards, why have just one when you can have a dozen?