From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kyle Breneman
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Methods to test new site IA?

Apologies for cross-listing...

I need some advice on user testing methods.  I’ve embarked on a project to redo our library website’s information architecture.  I’ve sketched out a new IA for the site which I want to test with users.  Initially I thought that I would just build out the new IA on our development server, then do usability testing with users on the dev site.  Now I’m realizing that will be a lot of work, and making any changes once its built will also take time.  Is there a middle ground?  Are there good ways to do some user testing with paper prototypes?  I want to get feedback on whether my categories and labels are intuitive and meaningful.

Kyle Breneman

Integrated Digital Services Librarian

University of Baltimore