I get this all the time on old code and I'm always able to rewrite either.

It is usually solved by defining it somewhere at the start of the script:

$variable = '';
$x = new stdClass();

If you do this at the start of the script, it should quit giving annoying errors and let everyone get back to work.

HTH,
Shawn