I'm going to throwout a library that hasn't been updated in awhile (couple
of years), and may or may not play nice with Solr versions > 4.x, but has
been a rock for us: mysolr.

Docs: http://mysolr.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
GitHub: https://github.com/RedTuna/mysolr

Something to be said for a client that just consistently makes it happen.

-Graham