Any camera setup is going to take up a lot more room than a plain scanner,
though.

It really depends on what you're looking for, what shape your materials are
in, your budget, and what potential you have for future projects. If you've
got loose leaf or are allowed to disbind, you can get a Canon sheetfed that
will do what you need for ~400 bucks. Some of them even have OCR built in.
That's what we used for dissertations before our grad school went to
born-digital.

If you have bound stuff that you don't mind putting on a flatbed, and want
a scanner that you can use for other projects afterwards, we've had great
success with Epson - we just bought a second 11000XL. But those are a heck
of a lot more expensive. We use ours mostly for scanning (non-rare) brittle
books that have been identified for deaccession due to condition, and that
are in too bad shape for our vendors to be willing to deal with.

We have a couple of camera setups as well (one book scanner and one camera
stand), and the main concerns I'd point out about those are larger size
footprint, the cost of the cameras, and sometimes the need for more
software just than photoshop to post-process the files that the camera
outputs. We only use our cameras for rare book or fine art projects that
need special care and handling anyway (both physically and electronically).

--
Christine Mayo
Digital Production Librarian