PGP has a dreadful reputation for usability, be prepared for a significant
support burden if you take that route.

You could always try omitting details from the email but providing a link:
"You have 4 books due tomorrow, click here and login to see the details"
kind of thing. That in conjunction with a local techie checking your email
sending settings.

cheers
stuart