Another alternative: stick with CONTENTdm for metadata ingest and
admin but take charge of the front end by migrating it to Blacklight.

That is what we are doing here: http://lib-mdl-dev.oit.umn.edu  (demo
/ prototype site). We plan on launching our MDL Blacklight instance
sometime this spring.

Everything we're doing is MIT:

https://github.com/UMNLibraries/cdmbl
https://github.com/UMNLibraries/mdl_search

I'm planning on pulling out a few more features from mdl_search
example app into the cdmbl gem to allow an even more "plug and play"
sort of experience. PRs and feedback are welcomed and appreciated.

--
Chad Fennell
Applications Developer