Depending on the client, the default security may be something other
than PGP. Thunderbird comes to mind. I think it uses SSL. Gmail uses
TLS. Yahoo! uses DKIM. Not that PGP can't be added as a plug-in or
extension, sometimes (e.g. Thunderbird), but that may be beyond the
capability (and willingness) of many people.

I'd love to encrypt some of my email, but haven't been able to get
agreement from even my most savvy acquaintances.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to tackle it.

James A. (Jim) Hart
Board of Trustees
Albert Church Brown Memorial Library
China Village, Maine, USA