I will add something to the question about the Teeth to the statement.  One
way to do that is to also indicate that Cod4Lib will not accept any
proposals for hosting from states or municipalities that cannot support the
Code of Conduct policy.

As a real-world example, I co-chaired the hosting of Code4Lib in Raleigh in
2014.  Based on that success, we submitted a very competitive bid to host
Open Repositories in 2017, which was awarded to Australia, since it has
been so long since it was outside of North America or Europe.  But the
North Carolina Legislature rammed through HB2 right after our bid lost. Had
we won that bid, we likely would have had to give up hosting OR 2017.

I would love to host Code4Lib again or Open Repositories, but I cannot in
good conscience lead a proposal submission without the communities full
support, and given that HB2 still exists in North Carolina, I do not want
to ask either the Code4Lib or OR communities to compromise on the code of
conduct.  More importantly, I've asked the OR Steering Committee to be VERY
PUBLIC with their statement.  Code4Lib brings in $250,000 - $500,000 of
economic transactions, depending on the locality.  Open Repositories is
$500,000 - $750,000.  That is REAL money lost to a community and their
businesses.  The City of Durham, while one of the most inclusive cities I
have ever lived in, loses out.

We need to make these statements as public and as wide spread as possible.
We need to stand up for our community values of inclusion, equity, and
diversity, and we need to be clear about the economic impact we, as a
community, have on the cities we visit each and every year.

Tim

--
Tim McGeary
GTalk/Yahoo/Skype/Twitter: timmcgeary