Stuart,

If I understand your question correctly, I *think* Talis Aspire Reading
Lists would fall under category 2, e.g.

https://victoria.rl.talis.com/items/43F39EFD-491F-CFED-7C8A-4BEA740DB0FE.html?referrer=%2Flists%2F9CD9FC84-3CB4-A08C-D473-3D85A705A24C.html%23item-43F39EFD-491F-CFED-7C8A-4BEA740DB0FE

or

https://victoria.rl.talis.com/items/B603CCAC-548A-58DA-5534-F55181456A65.html?referrer=%2Flists%2FCB22E031-B3B9-AD2C-CBC6-9D9C471D0F9E.html%23item-B603CCAC-548A-58DA-5534-F55181456A65

The (I think) relevant bit here is that any list owner could bookmark any
article from anywhere (regardless if it's something the institution
subscribes to) and TARL would create an openurl based on the metadata
available from the bookmarking process (which, in *some* cases could be
spotty).  And, as you note, may be freely available and not managed in your
knowledgebase.

Theoretically, RefWorks, Mendeley, Zotero, etc. could be other possible
examples of your category 2, but they'd be harder find public examples for.

Outside of these (and maybe even outside of Google Scholar alone) I think
your tail, however long, will be statistically insignificant for any
individual source.

-Ross.