> On behalf of a colleague, I'd like to share this invitation to a digital
humanities conference:

Dear All - -

I am delighted to share the Call For Participation for Digitorium 2017,
UA’s Digital Humanities conference. At last year’s event, we had the
pleasure of welcoming over 100 participants from 3 different continents, 16
different US states, and more than 10 different fields to share their
Digital Humanities scholarship and pedagogical approaches on campus for 3
glorious days, and in 2017 we are keen to see the conference expand further
to embrace even more new ideas and projects, so whether you are an
experienced practitioner with new research to present, or someone new to DH
keen to discuss your first forays into this arena, Digitorium 2017 is an
inclusive venue designed to facilitate scholarly community and discussion.
We have had some great submissions already, but in the interests of
enabling as many people as possible to participate the deadline for
submissions has been set for 5th December 2016, so I really encourage you
to submit a proposal, or to come as a participant, the more the merrier! If
I may, I will share further details of the conference below, and if you
would be willing to circulate the Call For Participation to any interested
colleagues or professional list servs, I would be most grateful for your
time in doing so.

Particular areas of strength in the conference in the past years have
included English, especially Renaissance Literature, History, American
Studies, Music, Modern Languages, Art and Art History, Library and
Information Science, and Museum and Archival Studies, and we welcome
proposals from all fields.

As the conference is co-sponsored by the University Libraries and the
Hudson Strode Program in Renaissance Studies, our plenary speakers this
year offer a particularly rich opportunity for scholars working in the
Medieval, Renaissance, and early modern periods to engage with cutting-edge
digital research innovations in these areas, so it would be great to see
many of you there if possible, whether as presenters or participants.

Digitorium 2017: The Details!

The conference welcomes proposals for papers and interactive presentations
about research or teaching approaches using digital methods. For the first
time in 2017, Digitorium also seeks to provide training opportunities for
scholars of all levels keen to learn new digital techniques to advance
their work, whether by learning a new digital mapping tool, discovering
simple ways of visualizing research findings, using computers to conduct
large-scale qualitative research, or experimenting with big data approaches
at your desktop. There will be a stream of hands-on workshops running
throughout the conference enabling participants both to share their own
work, and also to expand their portfolio.

Digitorium 2017 will take place from Thursday 2nd to Saturday 4th March,
and again, our primary focus is on digital methods, as this has provided
fertile ground for interdisciplinary conversations to grow. There will be
“tracks” through the conference based on: methods; early modern studies;
American studies; and digital pedagogy. We welcome presentations on any
topics engaging digital methods for scholarly purposes, whether for
research, teaching, or community projects.

In 2017, the conference is expanding once more to offer not only multiple
plenary sessions, panels, papers, and roundtables, but also a concerted
series of workshops offering training for delegates in a variety of Digital
Humanities techniques for research and teaching, from mapping to text
encoding, digital data analysis, and more, to support enhanced professional
development opportunities at the conference for faculty, staff, and
graduate students.

This year, we are proud to present two plenary sessions and our first-ever
plenary hackathon! Professor Scott Gwara (Univ. of South Carolina) will be
presenting on MS-Link, a database that he created reunifying scattered
manuscripts into full digital codices. Additionally, joint principal
investigators of the Isabella D’Este Archive (IDEA) Project, Professor Anne
MacNeil (Univ. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) and Professor Deanna
Shemek (Univ. of California Santa Cruz) will be presenting their work on a
digital archive uniting music, letters, and ceramics, and will lead our
first live hackathon, engaging participants in the new virtual reality
component of their project.

There will once again be a discounted “group rate” for registration to
enable participants to bring their team with them, as collaboration is such
a hallmark in digital scholarship, and it would be great to be able to hear
about projects from multiple different perspectives from the people working
together on them. There are also discounted rates available for graduate
student presenters, and UA faculty. I do not mean to impose, but if this is
an event which would be of interest to colleagues and collaborators, I
would be enormously grateful if you might be able to circulate our CFP or a
link to our website with them, we really want to let as many people as
possible know about the conference to ensure it will be a real success.

Here is a link to the website which includes the full-length CFP:

https://apps.lib.ua.edu/blogs/digitorium/

Methods provide the focus for our conference, both in a pragmatic sense in
terms of the use of different techniques to achieve particular DH projects,
but also the ways in which sharing digital methods can create new links
between disciplines in the humanities and social sciences. The idea
powering Digitorium is to build on the community which has emerged in the
course of the previous two years’ events in order to create a space for
conversations to take place between scholars, graduate students, and
practitioners from many different disciplines about their shared methods
and techniques which unite them in their digital work.

Thank you so much for your time in reading this message - - Digitorium 2017
is the highlight of the ADHC’s calendar, and it would be wonderful to see
as many people as possible sharing their amazing projects, not only of work
being done here at UA, but also from much further afield, so I really hope
you may consider participating. Please do let me know if you might be
interested - - I’m always happy to do my best to answer any questions if
that would be of use, and it would be wonderful to see you and your
colleagues at Digitorium 2017;
All my very best wishes,
Emma

Dr. Emma Annette Wilson
Digital Scholarship Librarian/Assistant Professor of English
Alabama Digital Humanities Center
University Libraries
University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0266

Here is the short version of the Digitorium 2017 information!

•       Digitorium 2017: Digital Humanities Conference @ the University of
Alabama, 2-4 March 2017
•       3 days of DH! Share your digital scholarship and teaching
initiatives with an international cohort!
•       Plenary sessions and hackathons:
§       Scott Gwara, creator of MS-Link, a database reunifying scattered
manuscripts into codices
§       Deanna Shemek and Anne MacNeil, co-Principal Investigators for
interactive digital database of early modern music, manuscripts, and
ceramics, the Isabella D’Este Archive
•       Workshops throughout on digital methods for humanities research
•       International panels, roundtables, and discussions
•       Digitorium journal publishing resulting articles and artefacts
https://apps.lib.ua.edu/blogs/digitorium/