Laura,

It is possible to query the CONTENTdm API to retrieve the joined multipaged PDFs created from the separate page-level PDFs. You could write a custom script to do this, but the Move to Islandora Kit provides this functionality out of the box. Running MIK does take a little configuration but for PDF documents it's pretty straight forward. Even if you're not migrating to Islandora, this approach will get your documents and metadata out for you.

Feel free to contact me offthread if you want to know more.

Mark