> Interesting. I never intended to use things like CD’s nor DVD’s as real
long-term storage mediums, since I always planned on migrating forward, but
Craig, please elaborate. Please tell us more about the lifespan of bits on
an SSD card. I don’t know about such things. —Eric M.

Here is a report by CLIR:

<https://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec4.html>

They list 20 years as the low estimate for writable disks, but I've
encountered studies that put the number lower, around 7-10 years.
Regardless, the estimate is in years rather than decades.

SSD bits, however, are typically measured in hours (the Mean Time Between
Failure (MTBF)).   So, for example, a bit can be written over-and-over for
2 million hours.  This assumes you're using the SSD regularly; my network
hard drive is always on, so power is cycling through the drives, which I
assume keeps the drive fresh. ( I'd recommend a SSD, that has its own power
source, rather than SD cards, for this reason.)   2 million hours is about
200 years, so an order of magnitude greater than a writable disk.

Cheers,
Craig