Strategies for Advancing Hidden Collections
The Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) is pleased to announce the opening of registration for a new practical education project: Strategies for Advancing Hidden Collections (SAHC). The project includes six 90-minute webinars and an online resource library presenting techniques and best practices for increasing the visibility, usability, and sustainability of collections in the GLAM (Gallery, Library, Archive, and Museum) communities. The series will be especially relevant for organizations with limited funding and resources but will be applicable to all collecting institutions.
Drawing on lessons learned by teams awarded grants under CLIR’s Cataloging Hidden Collections program, webinars will cover the following topics:
- January 11, 2017 Where to begin: Basics of project planning for GLAM organizations
- January 18, 2017 Building resources and relationships: Determining what and who you need
- January 25, 2017 Making the most of people: Recruitment, retention, and recognition
- February 1, 2017 Collection access: Describing, cataloging, and processing with the future in mind
- February 8, 2017 Overcoming project hurdles: Approaches to identifying and managing collection red flags
- February 15, 2017 Closing the loop: Project assessment and leveraging goals for future planning
All webinars will take place from 2:00-3:30 pm ET and are offered free of charge. Sessions will function as a series, and we request that those interested in live viewing be available for the entire series. Live participation will be limited to the first 100 respondents. Recordings will be made available shortly after the conclusion of each session.
For more information on the individual topics and speakers: https://www.clir.org/hiddencollections/sahc
To register for the live series: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6ZC7KTZ
To register to receive links to the recordings, both the entire series or individual sessions: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6Z8B28P
To access the resource library: https://wiki.diglib.org/Strategies_for_Advancing_Hidden_Collections
Both the Cataloging Hidden Collections program and the webinars are supported by funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Katherine S Kim
Digital Library Federation (DLF) at CLIR
to manage your DLF-ANNOUNCE subscription, visit diglib.org/announce