I think fiscal sponsorship by CLIR is definitely the sweet spot. It's
pretty awesome CLIR is offering on those terms, really, and it's not
entirely risk-free for them obviously. It's a real vote of confidence.

Setting up your own 501-c-3 gives you LOTS of financial and legal
obligations. Even just financially, I'm pretty sure it would not come up
advantageously, on book-keeping and tax preparation alone, compared to
CLIR's . And it requires a persistent governance structure that I'm not
sure Code4Lib actually wants or needs -- I think many of us like the
amorphous aspect of Code4Lib -- more community than organization -- and I
think the CLIR proposal pretty much keeps it. But even for those who don't,
just on financial considerations alone, your own 501c3 is not the smooth
easy choice.

CLIR's flat $5000 fee is very reasonable -- based on historical conference
budgets of $100K to $250K, that's percentage-wise 2%-5%, which is actually
a quite low fiscal sponsorship fee. And they're doing it flat fee not
percentage, which is actually great. I assume the fee would be rolled into
conference budget, since that's Code4Lib's only real income.  It's really
quite a good offer from CLIR, unusually good terms both financially and
organizationally for the full fiscal sponsorship they are offering. I
assume they are doing it because they want to support Code4Lib as part of
their mission.

As far as "what to do with any money leftover from a conference" -- the
default answer seems obvious, just roll it into the next year's conf
budget, whether via scholarships or making registration slightly cheaper
for everyone, as it has always been.

Jonathan