I don't have numbers and this is really just my guess impression, but I'd
be shocked if there weren't a lot more libraries in Google Scholar than in
LibX.  It should be possible to get both numbers from publically available
lists though.

I think the google scholar search is a good one.

The other thought would be letting users somehow direct themselves to their
_own_ link resolvers, just like vendors do. You'd need to either build a
directory of link resolvers for them to choose from, or I have some memory
that there is _some_ relevant OCLC service. I don't recall if it's actually
sufficient or has a decent API, or how extensive it's directory is.