While we don't plan on leasing the ScanPro 3000, we received a quote from
DRS Imaging in NYC for renting the unit.  It was $45.60 per month for a
3-year lease, and $306.33 per month for a 5-year lease.  The purchase price
is $10,895, excluding installation, training and maintenance at $1,200 and
the $3,500 AutoScan software (which apparently only works when there are
well-defined and consistent page breaks on the microfilm).

Our local history librarian looked into digitization services, but he said
that they would have been prohibitively expensive.  We plan on having
carefully vetted and trained volunteers do most of the work when it comes
to digitizing our local newspaper microfilm collection.

If you want contact info for DRS, write me offline.  I'll be meeting with
their VP tomorrow regarding our 2-week trial of the scanner.

John Lolis
Coordinator of Computer Systems

<http://whiteplainslibrary.org/>
100 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY  10601

tel: 1.914.422.1497
fax: 1.914.422.1452

http://whiteplainslibrary.org/

*When you think about it, *all* security is ultimately security by
ignorance.*