I found this discussion very informative.  But I would like to change a parameter from 46gb to 4tb.  What affordable and simple options are there for that amount of data?

/Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kyle Banerjee
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] 46 gigabytes

> Taking things like cost, convenience, and the knowledge that my
> solution will always include migrating forward, there is what I think I will do:
>
>   1. buy a pile o’ SD cards, put multiple copies
>      of my data on each, and physically store
>      some here and some there
>
>   2. buy a networked drive, connected it to my
>      hub, and use it locally
>
>   3. break down and use some sort of cloud
>      service to make yet more copies of my data
>
>   4. re-evaluate in 365 days; this is a never
>      -ending process

As is this for personal data and there isn't that much of it, there are many paths that will work including the above.

We have a cultural bias towards squirreling away copies all over the place.
The advantage is that it's impossible to lose everything. The disadvantage is that it's labor intensive, scales poorly, and synchronization as well as knowing what you can really trust (completeness, integrity, etc) is an issue.

Given that you can recover deleted files as well as restore previous versions from services such as Google Drive, Dropbox, etc, there's no real reason to keep copies on so many cloud services. You can just use one which can be accessed from your personal computer, cell phone, and over the web
-- this will be far more convenient and reliable/safe than any solution involving personal hardware.

kyle