Howdy Julie,

There are many things people use linux for that don't require a VM. There
is cygwin, the win32 ports for many utilities, and you can use saxon for
XML stuff which doesn't have dependencies that require you to be running
linux.

When you truly need a linux system, you can configure an Amazon machine any
way you want with an EBS-backed (as opposed to instance store) root allows
which can be turned on/off just when you use it at a cost of only pennies
per hour and you can give it as much horsepower as you want. BTW, if your
replacement system is windows 10, it has a decent linux subsystem.

VMs are great when you need them, but sometimes they're like using a
chainsaw to cut butter.

kyle