The Innovation Interest Group has a more than six-year history of activity under the umbrella of NDSA.  Among its initiatives are

·        The NDSA Innovation Awards

·        Insights Interviews and Digital Pioneers Series, posted on the Library of Congress digital preservation blog, The Signal

·        Digital Preservation Stack Exchange (in partnership with OPF)

·        Digital Stewardship Innovation Ideas (DSII) Challenge for 2014

·        “Neighborhood Watch” for Repository Quality Assurance

·        Google Summer of Code Project

·        SWAT sites (in NY) for the long tail of digital media

·        Short papers on web archiving and disaster planning

Some of these activities have moved to other groups within NDSA (The NDSA Innovation Awards, for example, is now its own Working Group); others are no longer active.

Beginning late last summer and into the fall, members of the Innovation Interest Group began a review of the Interest Group’s six-year history, and a reflection on whether or not there was a vision for the continuing activity of this group, and, more importantly, if there people whose interests aligned with that vision, and would undertake the work of the group as currently defined.

It was decided to present the question of whether to continue or to sunset the Innovation IG at the NDSA Digital Preservation 2016 conference in Milwaukee in November, to all interested NDSA participants.  Attendees were asked their motivation for attending the IG meeting, what they wished to accomplish, and if they thought the Innovation IG, rather than some other interest or working group, was the best medium for accomplishing those interests.

The consensus was that the interests of participants were best served by other existing, or yet to be created, interest or working groups. It was decided officially to sunset the Innovation Interest Group. However, many new ideas were generated at the meeting and in prior group conversations, and we encourage participants to use the framework of the NDSA to explore them, creating new groups as needed.  (See “Group Formation,” here, for more details: http://ndsa.org/working-groups/.)

The Innovation IG page on the NDSA website will be retired.  Wiki materials from past Innovation IG activities will be maintained as an historical record, and past publications and work products will remain available.

Present members of the Innovation Interest Group would like to thank the many IG members who, over the years, have contributed so many wonderful ideas, and so much energetic effort to see those ideas realized.  We look forward to working together with all our NDSA colleagues on other interest and working groups, forwarding our shared work to preserve access to our national digital heritage.

On behalf of the NDSA Innovation Interest Group,

Sheila Morrissey

Bethany Nowviskie

Sheila M. Morrissey

Senior Researcher

ITHAKA

100 Campus Drive

Suite 100

Princeton NJ 08540

609-986-2221

ITHAKA (www.ithaka.org) is a not-for-profit organization that helps the academic community use digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways.  We provide innovative services that benefit higher education, including Ithaka S+R, JSTOR, and Portico.