Howdy Alexis,

Are hosted services an option?

No matter which path you take, you need to think about what relationships
the system needs to express, how people need to interact with the system,
and how you'll get everything into and out of the system since nothing
lasts forever.  Tracking horse pedigrees is a specialized type of records
management that software designed primarily for library use cases and
exhibits would be poorly suited for.

My gut reaction would be to focus on genealogy software as that seems
likely to support the use case and behaviors you need. A commercially
supported wiki or CMS could nominally work, though I expect that getting
info in/out plus the futz factor associated with adapting general purpose
tools to support what you need might approach building an app from scratch.

kyle