Hi Dave,

At our library we use the following tools (links below to
our guidelines) to confirm transfer of digital files. I personally
haven't used these tools with such a large dataset as your's but might be
worth testing.

Robocopy (Robust File Copy) for PC http://tinyurl.com/ke9esag
rsync  for MAC http://tinyurl.com/kgoqb2c

then for confirming no changes over time, we use checksums generating tools
such as DROID (then compare using Excel) or Quickhash [1]

Here some helpful explanation of using checksums, _File Verification using
MD5 Checksums_[2]

Hope this helps,
​Monica

Quoting "Bigwood, David" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Open for suggestions for a fingerprinting tool. I think that's what
> they are called.
>
> We are copying NASA imagery to make available to the public. They
> send us a hard drive with about 10,000 images and we copy them to a
> drive then return the original.
>
> I'd like a tool that would compare the 2 drives to make sure
> everything was copied correctly. Then something that would be able to
> tell if some file had degraded, went missing or been changed over
> time.
>
> Thanks,
> David Bigwood
> Lunar and Planetary Institute