Dear colleagues,

This is a brief update from the ArcLight design team regarding further progress on the design process, and specific areas for which we are seeking community feedback and contributions. ArcLight is intended be a Blacklight-based environment that supports discovery and digital delivery of information in archives. The project team is using a community-oriented, collaborative design process for Arclight to engage more institutions earlier in the process.

Completion of design sprints 1 and 2; call for feedback on mockups. Gary Geisler and Jennifer Vine (Stanford) recently have completed two out of the three previously scheduled design sprints, with additional consultation from Wendy Hagenmaier (Georgia Tech). These design sprints have allowed the ArcLight design team to make progress in completing the design work required to allow us to proceed with upcoming development work. During the first two design sprints, we produced a series of mockups, which are now ready for your feedback.

While we welcome any feedback, we are scheduling 60-90 minute conference calls to discuss the mockups with any interested community members the week of March 20. If you are interested, please fill out the following Doodle poll ASAP: http://doodle.com/poll/mt3wqwzfg83e29au - I will announce the times and dial-in info for each call at the end of the week.

Upcoming minimum viable product work cycle (April 3-May 26); call for community contributions. Stanford is preparing to kick off an eight-week work cycle to develop a minimum viable product for ArcLight, as based on the prioritized requirements. As part of this, we’re looking for community contributions of software engineering, user testing, deployment testing and documentation review, and subject matter expertise.

In terms of specific commitments, Stanford will be allocating 3 FTE for the duration of the work cycle, and University of Michigan is allocating about 1 FTE during this period (hooray!). If you or your institution are interested in contributing and can make a potential commitment now, please complete the online resourcing form: <http://bit.ly/arclight-mvp-resources>. If you are potentially interested in contributing but have specific questions regarding commitments or scope, please feel free to contact me directly at [log in to unmask].

Lightning talk at Code4lib 2017. Since we’ve been making significant progress over the last few months, I gave a lightning talk at last week’s Code4lib conference in Los Angeles. My slides can be viewed here: <http://bit.ly/arclight-c4l17>.

We look forward to your feedback, and appreciate your interest and enthusiasm about ArcLight!

Best,

The ArcLight design team

Gary Geisler, Jennifer Vine, Laura Wilsey, and Mark Matienzo (Stanford University Libraries)

Nabeela Jaffer, Chris Powell, and Mike Shallcross (University of Michigan)

Wendy Hagenmaier (Georgia Tech)