Let me give this some thought as I believe this could be helpful and
appreciate such information myself.

I don't work for OCLC or Ex Libris, but I have personal and professional
relationships at both that are important to me and wouldn't want a poorly
expressed sentiment to convey the wrong impression -- I feel lucky to have
had the opportunity work as closely with both as I have.

To provide an analogy a lot of people here would relate to, Bepress,
CONTENTdm, DSpace, and Omeka all can be used to store and serve just about
anything. But when you look at what's in their DNA, Bepress is a publishing
platform for textual documents, CONTENTdm is a centralized image
repository, DSpace is a community based document store, and Omeka was
designed for online exhibitions. These products are relatively easy to use
when your needs align with what they're designed to do. But as you get
further away from their core purpose, it quickly gets harder to make things
work.

Josh's point about similarities in how WMS and Alma conceive of electronic
resource workflows is highly relevant. When you get right down to it, a
"traditional" ILS is an inventory control system built around the workflows
for managing certain types of physical resources and this model applies
awkwardly to licensed electronic resources. The devil is in the details, so
the question is always what's the best path given what you need in the
short term and anticipate in the medium and long term.

kyle