The Philadelphia Museum of Art is hosting its second hackathon. This year we extended the time frame and format.  The kickoff is Wednesday April 5th and participants will have one month to develop their projects.  Our theme is focused on creating a game around the museum collection.  We are encouraging experimentation with VR and AR technologies as well.  We will provide access to museum staff during the month via a dedicated web section and may also host some discussions on Slack. Two Hacklabs (April 12th and 19th) will take place so the participants can work at the museum, test their games, and ask staff questions.  We will provide access to the iBeacons and have developed a very light API to access the collection data. Final judging will take place Wednesday May 3rd, during Philly Tech Week. The prize is $2,000.

Hackathon 2.0<http://www.philamuseum.org/calendarEvents/627-541.html>
http://www.philamuseum.org/calendarEvents/627-541.html

Who: Individuals 19+, those who can code, those who can create, and all who love art are invented to make a digital game inspired by the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Teams can be up to 6 people.
What: Game design hackathon, month-long competition
When: April 5-May 3rd

More: Join us for our second annual #HacktheMuseum challenge. This year your team of up to six people will have one month to create a digital game inspired by the Museum. Hackers will have access to wayfinding iBeacons, a GitHub repository with a massive dataset of art on view, Museum gallery blueprint files, and Q&As with Museum staff. Experiments with augmented and virtual reality are encouraged. This year, we've doubled the prize money to $2,000 and added a People's Choice Award worth $500. Top teams will present projects to a panel of judges and the public on the evening of Wednesday, May 3rd during Philly Tech Week. Philly's own makerspace, Hive76, is designing a HackLab in our main building, and for three Wednesday nights in April we'll provide a workspace, snacks, plenty of coffee, and Museum staff to answer your questions. Last year all competing spots sold out, and we anticipate that happening again. Register as a team or an individual today.

Link: http://www.philamuseum.org/calendarEvents/627-541.html?keyword=Hackathon

Challenge Details

Create a digital game inspired by the Museum. Full judging criteria and the Museum datasets will be revealed during our kickoff on Wednesday, April 5. Teams can have up to six members. Bring a team or form one at the kickoff.

Your Hackathon Ticket Includes:
*         Admission to the Hackathon 2.0 kickoff on April 5 and Hacklabs on April 12 and 19
*         A GitHub repository containing access to iBeacons installed in the Museum; collections information for artworks on view in a JSON file, including thumbnail and large image assets; and digital floor plans of the Museum
*         Team workspace designed by Hive76
*         Food and drinks
*         Access to Museum staff for questions about Museum data, art, and testing
Judges
*         Sougwen Chung, Google VR Tilt Brush Artist in Residence and Artist in Residence at Bell Labs. Twitter @sougwen
*         Youngmoo Kim, Director of the ExCITe Center and Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Drexel University. Twitter @youngmoo
*         Yasmine Mustafa, Founder of ROAR for Good. Twitter @myasmine
*         Mjumbe Poe, Cofounder and CTO of FixList. Twitter @mjumbewu
*         Corinne Warnshuis, Executive Director of Girl Develop It. Twitter @corinnepw

Rules and Prizes
Teams must submit their games online by April 28, 2017. Judges will review each entry and notify final teams by May 1. The top five teams will present their games to judges and a public audience on Wednesday, May 3. The winning team receives a prize of $2,000. The audience's favorite takes home the People's Choice award and $500.

Press:
http://www.geekadelphia.com/2017/04/03/philadelphia-museum-of-art-to-host-second-annual-hackathon/
http://technical.ly/philly/2017/03/20/hackthemuseum-philadelphia-museum-art/

Karina Wratschko
Special Projects Librarian

t 215-684-7656
f 215-684-0534

Philadelphia Museum of Art
PO Box 7646, Philadelphia, PA  19101-7646
www.philamuseum.org<http://www.philamuseum.org/>