(with apologies for cross-posting!)
A reminder to one and all that the first annual
Endangered Data Week will be held from April 17th-21st this year—that is, in just two weeks!
We invite your participation in Endangered Data Week, a distributed
network of events running from April 17th-21st, 2017:
Endangered Data Week is a new, annual, grassroots effort to:
- raise awareness of threats to publicly available data of all kinds, across sectors and disciplines;
- provide opportunities to explore the power dynamics of data creation, sharing, privacy, and retention;
- build community capacity by teaching ways to make #EndangeredData more
accessible and secure.
Nothing nearby? Please help make this first EDW a success by planning a gathering and adding
it to our list and map!
We especially encourage events that promote care for endangered collections by:
- publicizing the availability of datasets to diverse communities;
- increasing critical engagement with data, including through visualization, analysis, and storytelling;
- encouraging activism and advocacy for open data policies;
- fostering needed skills through workshops on data curation, documentation and discovery, improved access, and preservation.
to manage your DLF-ANNOUNCE subscription, visit