Yep, that's how you do it. I've never used Cake, but Rails does it no
problem. Well, I mean, it's a bit more inconvenient then when the join
table can be completely ignored and invisible, but it works, I've done it.

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/association_basics.html#the-has-many-through-association