kyle, I can tell you why the systems I worked on did not fully exploit
the fixed field values you mention below: they are often not filled in,
ironically, because most systems do not exploit them. So if you use them
for any kind of search or limitation, your results are wrong wherever
the value is missing.

The only solution that I see is to have ONLY fixed fields for certain
values, and have these drive both search and display. So you key the
codes for illustrations in the 008, and the value "illustrations" "maps"
etc. appears in the display of the appropriate variable field. As long
as coding and variable fields are redundant, and display is only taken
from the variable fields, the coded areas will be unreliable.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net