I've been working on developing a program for crowdsourcing transcriptions for the Biodiversity Heritage Library, which is also a consortium of multiple libraries with different levels of resources to dedicate to this type of project. While I've been focusing on open source systems that can cooperate with some value additions that BHL requires (namely, mining the texts for scientific names that can be added as access points), I've done a fair amount of research on the topic. Here's two links (https://library.mcz.harvard.edu/blog/transcription-tools-survey-katie-mika-ndsr-resident ; https://library.mcz.harvard.edu/blog/why-transcribe )to blog posts that briefly surveys some good currently supported options, and I've got a few more write-ups floating around that might be of use as you get started.

I have to enthusiastically support FromThePage, as a number of others have mentioned. Zooniverse is also integrating transcriptions into its Project Builder (in addition to the Scribe tool already mentioned). Anno.Tate (https://anno.tate.org.uk/ ) and Shakespeare's World (https://www.shakespearesworld.org/ ) are two more interesting projects to investigate. Wikisource could also be a great option for something with more of an "upload it and leave it for a bit" style of project management. The Smithsonian Transcription Center isn't available to non-Smithsonian institutions, but their papers on the subject are quite good, and it could also be worth taking a look at the "#Volunpeer" hashtag for a sense of what the active community is like. Many members participate in several projects across different platforms.

I'm happy to talk further about any of this too if you have more or specific questions.

Best,
Katie Mika

--

Katie Mika
Biodiversity Heritage Library NDSR Resident