Tufts University has not retrospectively edited our records to RDA.  We have a mix of AACR2, RDA, and Hybrid records in our catalog.  With current ILS systems, it does not greatly affect user access.  However, after we transition to a new ILMS next month, we may implement an automated synchronization with OCLC, which would replace records with the most recent version on WorldCat.  This would turn most of our records into at least the hybrid records now available on WorldCat.

I know that MarcEdit is RDA compliant, and includes an RDA Helper to assist in converting records to RDA standard.  Gary Strawn's Authority Toolkit is, naturally, RDA compliant, since it was designed specifically for RDA authority records.  I don't use any other MARC programming libraries.  I expect that quite a few MARC libraries are woefully behind the times; some have probably not been updated since well before RDA.  This is not really an RDA problem.  One should always be wary of software that does not keep up with changes in the standard.  MARC has never been static.

					Steve McDonald

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Lease Morgan
Sent: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 11:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] rda

To what degree have any of us done massive RDA work in our catalogs, and similarly, to what degree have some of the community's MARC programming libraries have been modified to account for RDA rules?

For example, has anybody done any large scale find & replace operations against their catalogs to create RDA fields with values found in other MARC fields? Why or why not? Similarly, RDA seems to define a publication field in MARC 264. Correct? Yet the venerable Perl-based MARC::Record module (still) pulls publication dates from MARC 260. [1] A colleague found a bit of a discussion of this issue from the VuFind community. [2] Which leaves me to ask another question, “Why is there so much business logic embedded into the MARC cataloging rules?”

Alas. How in the world is the library community ever going to have more consistently encoded data so it can actually disseminate information?

[1] MARC::Record - http://bit.ly/2px2sC6 [2] discussion - https://vufind.org/jira/browse/VUFIND-749

—
Eric Morgan