These links are extremely helpful. Thank you so much. I am in the process of developing a metadata service arrangement with a clinical research unit on our campus. I'd be interested in if anyone has had a similar experience or other wisdom to share.

Renee

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Melton
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 10:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] memorandums of understanding, copyrights, & acknowledgements

Hi Eric,

These are big, important questions! Collaboration is a giant topic in digital scholarship, so I'll just offer a few brief thoughts.

I would say that part of it depends on the kind of work. Is it a one-off consultation? An ongoing project? Is the library offering long-term support, whether through storage, labor, or other expertise? As Kari mentions, the question of copyright is likely a question of institutional policy. But the other elements you mention—MOUs and attribution—get a little murkier.

For ongoing projects or larger-term investments, at least, I think MOUs are a great idea. They help define the scope of the collaboration, in addition to outlining roles and responsibilities. UT-Arlington has a nice collection of MOUs: https://uta-ir.tdl.org/uta-ir/handle/10106/25646.

My view is that if you want to create a culture of collaboration, it helps to be explicit about it. As such, I like TaDiRAH's taxonomy of digital humanities scholarship activities, objects, and techniques:
https://github.com/dhtaxonomy/TaDiRAH/tree/master/reading

I'm happy to chat further—I love this topic!

Sarah

--
Sarah Melton
Head of Digital Scholarship