>Now I'll need to detect when a record is not providing punctuation, and
have my code insert it based on the MARC element.

Presumably you could check the appropriate leader element:

"In 2010, MARBI (Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information Committee)
approved MARC proposal no. 2010-07 submitted by the Deutsche
Nationalbibliothek to add a code to Leader/18 (Descriptive Cataloging Form)
to indicate the omission of ISBD punctuation in MARC 21 records."

Roy (who can't believe that we're finally doing this)