Another quick thought: if you're worried about faculty reacting poorly to
the legalistic feel of a MOU, adapt it! We simply call our document a
"project plan," and while it contains much of the same content of a MOU
and/or SLA, it's in plain English.

Also potentially worth noting—the model of a Collaborators' Bill of Rights:
http://mcpress.media-commons.org/offthetracks/part-one-models-for-collaboration-career-paths-acquiring-institutional-support-and-transformation-in-the-field/a-collaboration/collaborators%E2%80%99-bill-of-rights.
Several institutions (UCLA, UMD, and I'm sure others) have adopted this
language for setting up expectations for working collaboratively.

Sarah