Would you please help us by providing examples of selection processes used at your institution?

The DLF Cultural Assessment Interest Group, part of the Digital Library Federation Assessment Interest Group (DLF AIG), is developing a best-practices toolkit to assist institutions with culturally responsible digital repository selection and collection. Part of our preliminary work is to identify shared and divergent workflows in digital collection building.

The first step in characterizing collection workflows is to gather examples of the selection process at various institutions. Once gathered, our group will share the collated workflows with the broader digital libraries community and analyze those workflows to understand how cultural heritage institutions represent the diversity of digital library artifacts.

Our second output will be a set of questions and prompts designed to facilitate a selection process that attempts to mitigate unintentional bias within digital collections. These will help inform our abstracted cultural heritage workflow and highlight areas where extra care with regard to selection may be warranted.

Would you please share your example workflows, in visual graph or descriptive text format, in the following Google form: https://goo.gl/forms/znIbrfqY7Qyh2wfc2

The form should take less than 1 minute to complete. Responses are appreciated by May 19, 2017.

Many thanks in advance.

Hannah Scates Kettler
Digital Humanities Librarian | University of Iowa Libraries
125 Washinton St, Iowa City, IA 52242
319.384.3432