Just to clarify, by "Commercial certificates offer stronger proof of
identity", you mean an "Extended Validation" (EV) certificate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Validation_Certificate

If you are getting a 'commercial certificate' that is a standard 'domain
validated' cert instead of an EV cert, you are not getting any stronger
proof of identity than you would from letsencrypt.

The cert used at https://www.ubalt.edu does NOT appear to be an EV cert,
but an ordinary domain validated one. (Additionally, that particular web
page serves http: images , triggering browser mixed content warnings!).

Same thing for the cert at https://langsdale.ubalt.edu/.

Looking at another Maryland public university:  https://umd.edu/ appears
similar. NOT an EV cert, and additionally serving http assets triggering a
mixed content warning.

I'm actually having trouble finding an academic institution, or even a
standard ecommerce site, that DOES use an EV cert.

You can tell it's an EV cert when chrome or Firefox put the name of the
organization in the location bar to the left of URL.  Additionally, in
Firefox, if you click that name, then click the right-chevron 'more info'
icon, then click "More information", under "Website Identity" it will list
an "Owner:" for an EV cert. For an ordinary domain-validated cert, it will
list "This website does not supply ownership information" instead.

Here's an example of an EV cert, the cert on digicert.com, a seller of
certs:

https://www.digicert.com/

If your cert is not EV but is just "domain validated", then despite it
being "commercial" it supplies the same level of proof of identity as a
letsencrypt cert -- proof of control of the domain at the time the cert was
issued, either way.