Here's a thread about per-TLD rate limits being a problem for universities;
it seems per a post at the end of that thread that letsencrypt might exempt
your institution from ratelimits, but an official agent of the university
needs to submit the request:

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/rate-limiting-at-an-educational-institution/5910/24