> I am not sure what Kyle means by "encryption hides attacks".

Interfaces designed for humans are frequent targets for attack. Network
monitoring tools are incredibly helpful for identifying compromised
machines, bots, and humans trying to bust in. So yes, encryption does hide
attack activity just as it hides everything else. There are other
legitimate reasons to monitor traffic such as to debug problems.

Encryption is a powerful and useful tool. But I wouldn't want to exaggerate
its effectiveness in protecting privacy nor ignore costs or consequences of
implementation. My guess is the vast majority of people on this list have
been hosed at some point by a technical decision made upstream from their
workflow that was based on what "everyone" needed or didn't.

kyle