Thank you Lydia and Grant. I'm impressed with the thorough documentation
that you all have produced for your preservation services.

I've posted a similar inquiry to the Archivematica forum that explains in a
bit more detail how this 1 object : 1 SIP/AIP preservation model arose out
of some throughput problems we encountered with transfers to archival
storage, especially with AV resources that seem to require 1 object per SIP
because of the temporary storage needs for processing such large files.
We've also noticed some murky indexing issues related to file sizes and
number of files in a SIP that lead us to believe the only consistent rule
for automated SIP creation that accommodates all of our content types is 1
object = 1 SIP/AIP.

We could manually create each SIP/AIP with larger aggregations of content
based on what we think Archivematica can handle. That seems like a lot of
work up front with the potential for introducing human error. In a workflow
that splits AIP and DIP creation into separate streams at the start,
manually aggregating content also hampers our ability to assign persistent
identifiers for preservation packages that we can link to from other
systems.

I'm curious how Scholars Portal plans to handle AIP creation in the Books
workflow, where the AIP and the DIP are created separately, and how you're
creating the metadata linkage back to the access platform. That seems to be
similar to what we're working on.

Andy