Paige,

This site is out of date as far as the information, but it nevertheless
could serve as a template for the kinds of features/requirements you may
want to look for -- supported file types, metadata formats,
harvesting/interoperability, import/export, etc. etc.

http://www.rsp.ac.uk/start/software-survey/results-2010/

My institution used it when comparing IR systems a few years ago.

Best,
Greg

Gregory Murray
Director of Digital Initiatives