Hi,

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Coral Sheldon-Hess
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> *When there are more than two options on a ballot, the better approaches,
> to find out what a community wants, are approval voting
> <https://electology.org/approval-voting> and its slightly more nuanced
> cousin, score voting <https://electology.org/score-voting>*. We already do
> score voting when choosing conference programs, so we know what that looks
> like and can easily put that into the Diebold-o-tron. Approval voting is
> just "check everything that you're happy with"; so, for reasons that are
> probably obvious, it's very easy to calculate and very good at finding the
> option that the most people will be happy with. ("Minimizing Bayesian
> regret," in the lingo.) I imagine getting the Diebold-o-tron to do that
> will not be a problem, either.

I'm on board with using approval or score voting (leaning a bit more
towards score voting if that means less work for the keepers of the
Diebold-o-tron).

> Just as another suggestion, because I've been thinking about this for a
> while: we could also treat these questions as independent. I'm giving an
> approval voting-based example, below, but it could be rephrased to work
> with score voting ("give a numeric score to each of the options below") or
> even simple plurality ("choose your favorite option from this list").

I think this could work as well, but...

> 2) *Assuming the community as a whole wants to go with fiscal sponsorship*,
> choose the options you find acceptable:
> * ALA/LITA
> * DLF/CLIR
> * OLF
> * Other

... if we do this, I feel a bit more strongly about first asking OLF
to respond to the FCIG questions [1] beforehand. I suspect, though,
that this need not cause a significant delay in setting up the vote.

[1] https://wiki.code4lib.org/FCIG_Report#Appendix_A_.E2.80.94_Questions_posed_to_potential_fiscal_sponsors

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager