The details depend on the fiscal sponsor. In all the cases we are considering, the fiscal sponsor is already incorporated as a legal entity and provides that legal entity status to hosted organizations as part of the hosting.

Let's take OLF, for example. (And Tim or Mike, correct me if I'm wrong here.) OLF exists to provide a home to organizations or projects that fit it's broad mission. OLE does require hosted organizations to describe their governance (and makes no proscriptions about that governance) It does not require those organizations to be legally incorporated, but there is some degree of formalization. And that formalization is there to assure the OLF that the organization is operating in a scope that the OLF supports and in a way that does not jeopardize the OLF's status. So the hosted organization needs some degree of formalizing, but has no need to incorporate. The OLF provides that incorporation (including not-for-profit status) for the hosted organization.

As I read it, that's essentially the same for both CLIR/DLF and ALA/LITA. If Code4Lib were to be hosted by any of these, CLIR, ALA, or OLF would act as the legal entity that can enter into contracts on behalf of Code4Lib, no need for Code4Lib to legally incorporate.

The hosting organizations will have some requirements for formalizing governance (and perhaps the Code4Lib "bubble" under LITA would be the least formal) but that is a far cry from incorporating.

-Tod