I realize this is late on a Friday, but I did want to take a moment to tease out an important distinction between establishing a governance structure for Code4Lib and incorporating Code4Lib. While formal incorporation requires governance, we could certainly formalize things without going to the trouble of incorporating. Indeed, I would argue that it's long overdue.

I get that most rational people don't geek out on Robert's Rules of Order, but Parliamentary procedure serves a real purpose. It gives folks a chance to have their voices heard, and confers democratic legitimacy on the decisions taken by the whole. Self-nominating ad-hoc groups are a nimble way of handling things (and many thanks to those that have served so far!), but they don't scale well. We're running into the tangible limitations of that approach right now.

Frankly, I think it's problematic to talk about Code4Lib "deciding" anything going forward without a better definition of what the organization actually is and how it is supposed to make decisions.

Ed Sperr
Clinical Information Librarian
AU/UGA Medical Partnership
Athens, GA