I've been pondering about this a fair amount.

I don't think Code4Lib is an "amorphous entity with no systematic way of arriving at a decision or definable point of contact". Rather, it is a decentralized community with long-established norms and consensus-based procedures for discerning the will of the community.

The community has been able to accomplish a great deal using volunteers and, for the lack of a better word, trustees. The trustees have been largely self-appointed or have responded to community requests. These trustees manage assets and capabilities for the benefit of the community. The asset that has put the largest burden on the part of the trustee has been the annual conference and the corresponding fiscal liabilities. Because of the burden of this trusteeship, it has been handed off from trustee to trustee.

I think it would help if we reframed the discussion away from "formalizing governance of Code4Lib" to "improving the fiscal continuity of a trustee for one (or more) of the Code4Lib community assets/liabilities", which I think the fiscal continuity group has advanced considerably.

There has been some good work done in developing and documenting the norms and procedures in our community. For example:

https://code4lib.org/about <https://code4lib.org/about>
https://wiki.code4lib.org/How_to_hack_code4lib <https://wiki.code4lib.org/How_to_hack_code4lib>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m-9VtL7L_fUxl2hTF_YZSdFRfucaLtmHvLSzom6XPVM/edit?pli=1#heading=h.99orczg96qj5 <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m-9VtL7L_fUxl2hTF_YZSdFRfucaLtmHvLSzom6XPVM/edit?pli=1#heading=h.99orczg96qj5>
https://github.com/code4lib/antiharassment-policy/blob/master/code_of_conduct.md <https://github.com/code4lib/antiharassment-policy/blob/master/code_of_conduct.md>

It may be useful to further document Code4lib's consensus-based procedures and policies for the benefit of legal entities that need to work with us, but a formal governance structure for the community (as opposed to that of an asset trustee) is something that I don't think the community needs or wants.

Also, I think the notion that we're indebted to "dumb luck" forgets that "luck" is created by a lot of hard work.

Eric