The Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) and Digital Library Federation (DLF) have agreed to serve as new fiscal host for the International Internet Preservation Consortium (IIPC), a global organization that coordinates efforts across libraries and other institutions to preserve internet content for the future.

Chartered in 2003 with 12 founding members, IIPC currently has 54 members on six continents. A 15-member steering committee serves as an executive board and defines and oversees organizational strategy. The organization’s work focuses on enabling internet content from around the world to be archived, secured, and accessed over time; fostering the development and use of common tools, techniques, and standards that enable the creation of international archives; and encouraging and supporting cultural heritage institutions to address internet archiving and preservation.

As financial sponsor, CLIR will manage banking for the organization and will be responsible for processing payments, accounting, and financial reporting. IIPC will remain independent and be responsible for managing membership and member communications, setting strategic directions, and organizing activities and events. DLF will offer relevant programmatic and community connections through its working groups, conferences, and collaborating groups, including the National Digital Stewardship Alliance (NDSA), which also finds a home at CLIR/DLF.

“We are very excited to work with CLIR/DLF on bringing fiscal stability to the IIPC and to partner with a mission-aligned organization also dedicated to advancing preservation and access for our shared cultural heritage. Their support of the library and archives community and work to advance the field is invaluable and we know this is just the beginning of a fantastic collaboration,” said IIPC Vice-Chair Jefferson Bailey of the Internet Archive, who, with Steering Committee member Abbie Grotke of the Library of Congress, worked on the arrangements for IIPC.

DLF Director Bethany Nowviskie added, “We’re thrilled to offer support for an international organization so closely aligned with the digital preservation interests and goals of the CLIR/DLF community. IIPC is unique in its global reach and the level of expertise its members bring to the challenge of web archiving.”

July 12, 2017

Contacts:

Kathlin Smith

IIPC Steering Committee