***Shared with the usual apologies for cross-posting!***

Dear colleagues,

My name is Brianna Marshall and I am incoming Chair of the new Digital Scholarship Section (DSS). We realize it’s been awhile since the community has heard from us, so you’re probably wondering what we've been up to! As you may recall, DSS was formed by three interest groups who jointly petitioned ACRL to become a section: the Digital Curation IG, Digital Humanities IG, and Numeric and Geospatial Data Services in Academic Libraries IG. Leadership from these IGs formed the Executive Committee for our inaugural year: Andrew Johnson (Secretary), Brett Cloyd, Alix Keener, Chelcie Rowell, and Joel B. Thornton. We're really excited to get this work underway, and our next step is to tell the community how you can become involved with DSS!

How to Express Interest in Joining a Committee

DSS is seeking individuals interested in joining (or chairing!) our new committees or serving as convener for a discussion group. All volunteers must be current DCIG, DHIG, or NDSIG members (who will all become DSS members when the new section becomes official in September). While we are interested in appointing volunteers to as many committees as possible by September 2017, due to the volume of volunteers we'll need we will likely be continuing to make appointments throughout the 2017-2018 year.

Based on feedback we received from current DCIG, DHIG, and NDSIG members at ALA Annual as well as from ACRL staff, the Executive Committee has revised the DSS committee structure from the tentative structure that was previously announced. The new structure includes functional committees that ACRL requires for all sections (Conference Program Planning Committee, Nominating Committee, and Membership Committee), other functional committees suggested at ALA Annual, two editorial boards for existing entities that will move under the DSS, and topical discussion groups covering all of the areas represented by the DSS. View the DSS committee structure.

To express interest, please email DSS Chair Brianna Marshall (brianna.marshall [at] ucr.edu) by 8/15 with the following information:

How to Express Interest in Running on the Ballot

The DSS Nominating Committee is seeking:

See explanation of the responsibilities for each position.

This is a great opportunity to help shape the second year of DSS and make your mark as a leader in ACRL!  All nominees must be current DCIG, DHIG, or NDSIG members (again, who will all become DSS members when the new section becomes official in September) and have consented to their candidacy. Only two candidates may run for each office, so if more than two candidates are nominated, the DSS Nominating Committee will make the final selection for the two candidates to run on the Spring 2018 ballot. Elections will be conducted by ballot. All candidates will be notified of the election results via email by April 2018.

If you are interested in nominating yourself or someone else (with their permission, of course) please send a brief biography and statement of interest to the DSS Nominating Committee Chair, Yasmeen Shorish (shorisyl [at] jmu.edu) by 8/15.

To express interest in either joining/chairing a committee or running on the ballot, please send the requested information by August 15, 2017. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Brianna Marshall, on behalf of the DSS Executive Committee

-------
Brianna Marshall
Director of Research Services