Good stuff.  Yes, this sort of work needs to have more library folks
involved.  As the mission of scholarly communication folks is creeping
(quite healthily, I would say) more into the day to day aspects of
teaching, learning, and research and we look at Faculty Information Systems
with other stakeholders on campus, it is clear to me that a more integrated
systems approach with library involvement would have benefits across the
board.  As we investigate such systems locally, we are working, for
example, with campus colleagues from Institutional Research who match
faculty credentials with courses, so I've been thinking in FRBR terms about
how course catalogs and syllabi are so closely related, yet they mostly
reside in different systems.  I'd say the catalog course description is
equivalent to an *expression* in FRBR terms, while a syllabus is a
*manifestation*, and we may need to distinguish between *items* such as the
Smith syllabus versus the Jones version.  I know Reserves staff in every
academic library love to have advance copies of syllabi to make sure we can
supply the books, articles, and videos needed, but there are lots of other
good reasons for sharing and keeping these around.  So, it may open lots of
other cans of worms, but I'd encourage anyone interested in this topic to
keep in mind the larger strategic context and try to establish contact with
other stakeholding entities on campus toward collaborating on a shared
system...
----DBL[image: https://orcid.org/sites/default/files/images/orcid_24x24.png]
<http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2856-8629>

David B. Lowe, Data Librarian