Hi Lauren, that makes sense and clears up roughly what you're looking for!

So, to be clear, I'm not aware of anything that does specifically what
you're asking for, BUT! I think you could probably get pretty far with a
nearly zero code solution that might fit your needs.  At least to get
started.

Many of the discovery systems that I've worked with (EDS, Summon, etc.),
have (or at least *had* - I'm not using them in anger, so I can't say for
certain this is still the case, but others can chime in) had a means to
define a context in which you're searching (they call this different things
in different systems) which then allowed you customize, e.g., the options
that display for search results (like export to a tool that is only
available to specific communities or whatever).  This could also possibly
get around any potential login hurdles from the LMS->Discovery service and
whatnot, but YMMV.

So I don't think it would be terribly complicated to take the
edu-apps/instructure LTI apps tool (https://github.com/whitmer/edu_apps)
which provides a really simple LTI producer interface that supports LTI
Content-Item Message.  Basically, it's just a *really* simple url
redirection service.  So if you set up a new 'tool' that redirected to a
search interface where you've customized the context (hands waving wildly
here) that provided a way to pass the discovery system's direct link syntax
back to the edu-apps tool that provides Content-Item launch url that the
tool passes back to the LMS.

You'd basically have a launch URL that looks roughly like:
https://
{URL_TO_YOUR_IMPLEMENTATION_OF_THE_LTI_TOOL}/tool_redirect?url=https%3A//
www.worldcat.org/title/implementing-a-bento-style-search-in-libguides-v2/oclc/5909322879%26referer%3Dbrief_results

(for an WorldCat permalink)

This is *basically* what the wikipedia search tool is doing, albeit slicker
and in JS.  It's hard to really know how satisfying the user experience for
such an approach would be, and that would likely vary from vendor to vendor
(and probably trial and error for the best 'context sensitive' approaches),
but being able to leverage the discovery system's native UI will more than
likely be fewer headaches.  I mean, again, YMMV, but at least maintenance
would theoretically be somebody else's problem.

If nothing else, it should provide enough for a proof of concept with the
least amount of effort.

Using the above with the edu-apps server, I got something like this in my
dev Canvas course:

[image: worldcat-lti.png]
Not perfect, obviously, but I've also invested nothing in this.

-Ross.