Josh,

Depending on your planned workflow, we've had better results  for
programmatic authorization using the VIAF API (
https://www.oclc.org/developer/develop/web-services/viaf.en.html) - and
storing its LCNAF identifier after sifting through the results - than using
the native id.loc.gov API.

Regards,
--Alex